Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lolita Challenge 2 of 52

Lolita 52 Challenge, 5 Movies for Lolitas

5 Movies for Lolitas
I wanted to make a list that was a little off the beaten path. i could have gone with all the obvious ones like Kamikaze Girls, Marie Antoinette, and  Psycho Gothic Lolita. I think those were on many lists and I thought I would try not to repeat as to spice it up a little. It took a little brain storming but I am more than happy with my list and really do recommend you take a peek at each of them. I think I made these choices because some of them are visually beautiful and remind me of Lolita in that way. Different and stunning. Some, are innocent like Lolita and have the sweet and pure feel that I get from Lolita.

The Fall
The Fall
I'm  not exactly sure how I found The Fall but I am so happy that it is in my life. It is just a visually gorgeous movie that has an amazing visual style. You can watch a trailer here to get an idea for the feel and look. This movie is about a man and a young girl in a hospital. The man tells a story to the girl in hopes that he can trick her into stealing medicine for him in order to commit suicide. I know it wounds a bit depressing and it is a little but the ending and the visuals make up for it. It is a touching story. for those of you with a Netflix subscription it is streaming here. If this movie was a brand, I believe it would be Metamorphose. Lovely, but not afraid to try visually interesting things.

A Little Princess
A Little Princess
Alright, I might have chosen this movie because it is a childhood favorite of mine but I think it deserves to be on the list.  A Little Princess is about a young wealthy girl who is sent to a girls boarding school when here father goes off to war.  Her father is lost in the war and along with him, all of their money is gone. Sarah now lives in the school as a servant but still believes that all girls are princesses and wants everyone to believe it as well. It is such a sweet story, see more here. This movie and Innocent World are so similar to me, it is like they are the same exact thing. 

Pan's Labyrinth
Pan's Labyrinth
 I remember seeing this movie not really knowing what it was. I saw a few pictures online and I thought it was going to be a sweet fairy tale and that was it. Boy! That was not at all what I got. It is indeed a fairy tale but a dark one filled with violence, amazing and scary creatures, and lots of obstacles for our heroine to over come. Take a peek at the trailer and see more. Just like The Fall it is a visual movie but just not as bright, this is a very dark movie (visually and story wise). 

The Secret Garden
The Secret Garden
The Secret Garden holds a special place in my heart as a childhood favorite just like A Little Princess. The whole movie is like like the garden. In the beginning everything and everyone is like the garden. Grey, neglected, and unloved. As it progresses Mary (the young girl above) helps to bring life back to the garden and people around her, including herself. It has a super sweet trailer that I am sure will make you want to watch it right away. This movie reminds me of Baby the Stars Shine Bright. There is even a print call The Secret Garden that is exactly like the movie.

MirrorMask
Mirrormask
 Gorgeous movie. That sums it up very nicely. Such a cool movie. The story, the music, the costumes, the visuals, and the characters make it just so cool. It is about a girl, Helena, who works with here parents in a carnival and she wants something different and wants to do her own thing. She then finds herself in a world of her own creation but needs to save her mother and find her way back home. Watch the trailer here. If you don't want to watch the trailer please please please watch this video of Close to You that will be stuck in your head all day and you will like it. It is one of my favorite parts of the movie. I think this movie would be Moi-meme-Moitie. Dark and interesting.

Well, that a bit of a long post but it is a good one I think. There are so many more of these to do, 50 more to be specific. What did you think of my list? Do you agree with ay of these chosen movies or have done it all wrong? Will you watch any of them because I recommended them to you? I hope so.

3 comments:

  1. These are all great movies! I would have included several of these on my own list.... I haven't done this Lolita 52 challenge yet because I just can't make up my mind!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails